maandag 4 februari 2013

Short 2012 recap + new targets

It has been a while since my last update, so I'm not really sure where to start.. let's just say last year went like a rollercoaster for me. I'll try to keep it short and concise and focus more on the new year, as I don't want to hang too much into the past regarding poker.

2012:

Since my latest update I spent a lot of time on staking/coaching. Let's just say that I have found it an experience with mixed feelings. I must say that I have underestimated a lot of things about it. It is very time consuming, with a lot of ups and downs. The beauty of it is to see guys flourish and develop (and often make a lot of money too, as the icing on the cake). On the other hand, the world ain't always pretty so you get to deal with a lot of shit. Dishonesty, scamming, etc. are unfortunately still a regularity in the staking business, as hard as you try to pick the right horses. It can be very frustrating to see someone just walk away with your money (and your trust) with very little remorse. Anyways, most of the guys I consider as friends and are very trustable- I enjoy working together with most of them. It is a decision I definately don't regret as it, most importantly, improved both my coaching abilities and my playing abilities.

Grind:

In the second half of 2012 there was an inevitable change in my SNG career: all the action shifted more and more towards hyperturbo 6max (6m) sngs, so I decided to slowly make a transition. For me it was a logical change, as I was ready for a new challenge, plus you have to go where the money is imo.
In short, the biggest differences were the following for me (in no particular order):

-transitioning from 9m play to 6m play
-new payout format (65/35 model)
-all blindlevels with antes
-volatile: lots of big swings due to smaller edges. It is a game where details become very important to be successful.

Fortunately I have a lot of history in 6m cashgames before my SNG career, so it wasn't all new for me. However, I never really grinded 6m SNGS so I have had to learn a lot of things.

I had two options:

-either learn by trial and error, most likely losing a lot in the beginning (say, first 10k games)
-study a lot and start with low volume and daily reviewing (max 4-6 tables, simulating a lot of hands)

Given I didn't really have VPP targets for the year, and that I already planned for 2013 that I wanted to make SNE on hypers I decided to invest more time into studying than playing during juli-august, to be a lot better before I rolled in the deep.

In retrospect I'm very happy with this choice, although I still have to improve every day. Hyperturbos are for sure not a game for someone who is lazy about reviewing and a constant strive towards improvement.

Results:

End of 2012:

Perhaps I will post graphs later on, not sure yet. I ended the year on 300k VPPs, with a 100k vpp month in december(mostly made in 2 weeks of grinding). It was rough for me, as I had to combine it with 4-5 days a week uni for most of the time during september-january. It was a real test whether I could combine it, and let's just say that I wouldn't advice it to many people to do so. At some point you'll start disliking poker while it is a blessing to have such an awesome "job". Heck, I don't even want to call it that way. However, if you are 30+ hours a week on uni, with 40+ hours of poker combined and a social life on the side it isn't that much fun anymore.

2013

January:

I started my SNE chase on the 25th of january due to finishing 4 subjects in my 3rd year. I will take a sabbatical for half a year, meaning I will be able to grind full time until september. I wanted to reach 30k vpps for the month, which I managed to do so. I finished the month being up five figures so it was a great month (albeit tonnes above EV).

February: my target is to play at least 10000 games, and/or 100k vpps. I find the 10k games target more important, but I will be satisfied if I make 100k vpps.

Thanks for reading, I'll try to give at least a monthly recap and add a few other stuff here and there too.

Cheers!






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten